Knowledge in coding is essential in creating a WordPress website. If you don’t know any coding, your next option would be hiring a developer, but that’s costly. When you find yourself in such a situation, what you need is a WordPress page builder plug-in.
WordPress page builders enable you to create or customize your website layout without having to write any code. They are beneficial non-IT experts as they not only save you the money that you’d have had to spend in hiring an expert but also save on time.
We have collected and reviewed the best WordPress website page builders and here they are below:
WPBakery Page Builder for WordPress
WPBakery Page Builder is one of the most famous WordPress website builders.
It offers most of the features in other page builders, including backend and frontend editors, thus making content editing quick and more comfortable. It also offers lifetime updates for paid customers.
It works very well with WordPress plug-ins, including WooCommerce and Yoast SEO. It is also compatible with powerful translation plug-ins such as WPML and Polylang; hence you can easily build a multilingual website powered by the page builder.
With WPBakery (previously visual composer), you can build robust pages without knowing a single lick of code.
Beaver builder is ranked among the top user-friendly page builders in the market. Its true frontend visual editor enables you to design a page with real-time previews.
With this builder, you can easily drag and drop content modules, create a landing page, or edit your page within minutes. It comes with powerful, easy to use modules that you can customize with an easy to use toolbar at the top.
Beaver Builder also comes with 30 professionally designed templates to choose from. Using a template is much faster as all you need to do is replace the sample content with your content by dragging and dropping.
Beaver builder is a Gutenberg-ready plug-in and is fully responsive. It is available as both premium and free plug-ins.
It has a simple, beginner-friendly interface, which is excellent for beginners and can inspire anybody to create a stunning WordPress page or website. It charges $99.00 for unlimited sites. A free version is also available.
The Divi Builder
The Divi Builder is a powerful WordPress drag and drops page builder for WordPress. Just like the Beaver Builder, It is a true WYSIWYG editor, which enables you to preview your design as you build.
Divi builder lets you create page layout by giving you the freedom to customize everything, including your fonts, spacing, and color. It provides 46 flexible but straightforward content elements that you can use to build a beautiful and unique page. You have the freedom to organize the elements the way you want.
It comes with 20 professionally made templates to aid in your design. It also allows you to create and save your layouts and import or export layouts on its other sites.
It is the foundation of the popular Divi theme. You can also use this plug-in with any other theme. The Divi Builder charges $89.
This is an easy to use drag and drop WordPress page builders, much like The Divi Builder. It is also a power plug-in behind the WordPress themes. The plug-in can also be used with any other theme.
It features more than 40 professional templates that are specifically designed for different industries.
With Themify Builder, you can create your web pages from the frontend or backend. In both interfaces, you are free to move the modules around and fully customize them. You can also arrange the modules in columns and rows and create grids easily.
It also features more than 60 animation effects out of the box that you can use to make your page more engaging. The core Themify plug-in is free, but for advanced modules, you can buy their add-on bundle.
Pricing is free, but the add-on bundle will cost you $39.00.
Elementor is a powerful drag and drop page builder plug-in. Like Beaver Builder, it is a live page builder plug-in; hence you can see all your changes live as you edit.
To use, you start by selecting the number of columns for each section. Next, drag and drop widgets. The widgets are picked from the panel to your selection. It comes with very many widgets, including the most commonly used website elements.
Each widget comes with its settings. Widgets available include image, text, sliders, testimonials, advanced accordions, social media, tabs, icons, etc. It also lets you add widgets created by other WordPress plug-ins.
It comes with many professional ready to use templates that you can insert into your page easily. To edit, you simply need to point and click any item on your page, replace it, and you’re done.
Elementor pricing starts from $49.00 for a single site license.
Page Builder by SiteOrigin
Page Builder is among the most popular free WordPress website builders, with over one million active installs. The main reason behind its popularity is that it is a fully functional free plug-in.
It is a bit complicated to use, and new users might take time to familiarize themselves with it. It comes with several widgets and gives you the freedom to download and install any widget you want.
Page Builder also comes with a history tool that enables you to undo any changes that you have made. This feature saves time and gives you peace of mind as you can reverse any changes.
All SiteOrigin widgets and plug-ins are Gutenberg compatible.
Thrive Architect page builder is used for conversation-focused websites.
It has a drag and drop feature and comes with 271 professional templates. With Thrive Architect, you can create a stunning homepage, blog post, sales page, and much more.
Price: Starts at $67 for a single site license or $19 per month.
Brizy offers a unique approach to webpage building, making it very interesting.
It is an exclusive frontend visual page builder. Rather than a sidebar popping up where you customize the element, almost everything happens inline.
It is relatively new and has only 26 elements, but the developers are currently working on more. It also has additional elements for certain features, for example, a menu element when you are building a header.
Brizy comes with 150 professional templates. Further adding to its uniqueness, there is no set formula for styling options like it is common in other builders. When designing, the sidebar can be expanded for further advanced settings like responsive control and spacing.
Basic styling can be beaded at the page level; hence you don’t have to edit every single element manually.
Advantages of WordPress builders
- You don’t have to learn to code
- Page builders are designed to help you create websites without the use of code hence take a lot of work off your plate as no coding is required. All you have to do is create and customize your website and add the content, of course.
- Use of the pre-built model to design pages
- Page builders come with a lot of pre-built elements, including templates and icons, therefore, reducing your workload as you don’t have to design them yourself.
- Support customization of website style
- After selecting your favorite template, you can customize it further to meet your desired taste or preference.
- Facilitate faster creation of websites
- Creating a website from scratch could take weeks or even months. With the use of page builders, this can be done in hours. Page builders provide templates and other elements, thus lessening your workload. Also, the elimination of the need for coding saves on time that you would have spent writing codes.
Disadvantages of WordPress Builders
- Lock-in effect
- Page builders achieve relatively intricate designs in a short time because their plug-ins convert your layout into their component shortcode. When you deactivate your page builder plug-in, the shortcodes become redundant. Your design, therefore, only works when your plug-in is installed.
- Slow loading speeds
- When you use a lot of modules, you increase the amount of coding on your website. The increased amount of coding places a higher demand on your web server; hence your pages load slower.
- Reasons why you should use drag and drop page builders
- Knowledge in coding is not required
- They are designed for people without, or with minimal technical skills. They use user-friendly drag and drop technology. The technology allows users to type in a text, change or move elements and upload pictures with a simple click and drag of a mouse. You can do all this without the need for knowledge in coding. To use drag and drop page builders, all you need is a computer and be computer literate.
- You can edit your WordPress or website anywhere
- The page builder sites are online-based; hence your files are hosted on your service provider’s servers and not your computer. When you want to edit or add content on your page, all you need to do is log in to your account. You can make changes to your page or upload content at any time.
- All that is required to make this happen is an internet-enabled device, a web browser, and an internet connection.
- No design expertise or talent required
- The essential thing needed when designing a WordPress or webpage is knowledge in graphic design. If you don’t possess the relevant skills or are not confident with your skillset, you need not worry.
- You can choose a professionally designed template that best fits your intended website design from a WordPress or web builder website and make your dream come true. Most sites let their customers customize their templates; hence you need not worry if you don’t find one that specifically meets your requirements.
- You can simply choose a template that looks closest to what you are searching for and customizes it to fit your taste. Customization and editing are made relatively easy and don’t require any additional computer skills.
- They come with a big collection of applications
- They come with a library of applications-some are free while others are paid for. These applications and tools can help you in adding and improving the functionality of your WordPress or website.
- Some applications are integrated into the builder’s websites while others come as fully integrated third party webpage and WordPress tools.
- They are relatively cheap-some are even free
- They offer plenty of paid and free plans; hence you are free to choose the layout that best suits you. Even in paid plans, they are very affordable compared to hiring professional help.
- Make WordPress and website maintenance easy
If you want to make your WordPress successful, then maintenance is crucial. Adding new content regularly increases traffic to your WordPress because of people are always looking for what’s new or what’s trending. The website’s easy-to-use drag and drop features make it easy to add content to your WordPress.
Factors to consider when choosing a WP Page Builder
- Ease of use
- When looking for a page builder, it is essential to find one with an intuitive editing tool to help you design your website to look as you want it.
- A drag and drop function is an excellent feature to look out for as it enables you to move components on your page with ease. It also doesn’t require expert knowledge; hence it is a suitable tool for beginners.
- You should also look for features that enable you to change color, add new elements, and upload media without the need for learning new skills.
- Number of templates available
- When building a website using a builder, the first thing you do is selecting a template, which you then customize to the design of your choosing. It is essential to choose a builder that offers a wide range of templates so that you have a wide variety to choose from.
- Availability of responsive options
- People nowadays don’t just browse with their computers; they use other devices too. A responsive website has all content, no matter the device it is opened with. It is simply rearranged in a manner that fits the screen of the device.
- It is essential to choose a builder that offers responsive templates to make your website appealing to all visitors, no matter the device they are using.
- Customization of options
- Templates make the process of website creation easier. Customization of your template makes your page more engaging and visually appealing to visitors. It is, therefore, necessary to choose a builder that has many options for customizing your websites.
- Some of the customization tools you should look out for are color changers, image loading, and the ability to add icons and buttons in the size of your choosing.
- Customization also makes your website more unique.
- SEO features
There are very many websites out there. If you want to increase traffic to your website significantly, you should choose a builder that optimizes your content to rank higher in search engines.
According to the comparison we made on the nine drag and drop page builders, it is clear that Beaver Builder and Divi are currently the best choices. Visual Composer falls in third due to its excellent features in page creation and customization.
If you want the best results and user-friendly experience along with a wide range of customization features to choose from, these three are the best ways to go.
Also, it is essential to consider the type and purpose of the WordPress or website that you want to create to choose the best page builder.
Tyler Horvath is an SEO Expert with over 15 years of experience in search engine optimization, popular blog author and WordPress SEO expert.